Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New Zealand All Blacks explain the meaning of the Haka


Rugby World Cup 2007. Members of the New Zealand All Blacks explain the meaning of the Haka in a new ad for Adidas. Impossible is Nothing.

The History of the Haka

All Blacks HAKA
All Black Haka words:
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa … ne! ka upa … ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hii…

All Black Haka Translation
I die! I die! I live! I live!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
This is the hairy man
Who fetched the Sun
And caused it to shine again
One upward step! Another upward step!
An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!!

KAPA O PANGO
Kia Whakawhenua Au I Ahau
Hi Aue, Hi!!
Ko Aotearoa E Ngunguru Nei!
Au, Au, Aue Ha!
Ka Kapa O Pango E Ngunguru Nei!
Au, Au, Aue Ha!
I Ahaha!
Ka Tu Te Ihihi
Ka Tu Te Wanawana
Ki Runga Ki Te Rangi E Tu Iho Nei, Tu Iho Nei, Hi!
Ponga Ra!
Kapa O Pango, Aue Hi!
Ponga Ra!
Kapa O Pango, Aue Hi, Ha!

English Translation
Let me become one with the land
This is our land that rumbles
And it’s my time! It’s my moment!
This defines us as the All Blacks
It’s my time! It’s my moment!
Our dominance
Our supremacy will triumph
And we will be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!


New Zealand vs Scotland in rugby (whisky ad)


Rugby fights
A basic overview of the rules of rugby.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The Haka is the New Zealand's way of showing their pride for their country and to psyche themselves up before the huge rugby games that they'll participate in. With the intensity shown by the All Blacks, you can be sure that they'll think twice in battling them.

Khaisha.PR said...

Soccer is not really big in Puerto Rico, therefor I've never seen the a Haka of the New Zeland team.
This past Friday, I was watching WWE Smackdown with my Dad and saw the entrance of The Uso Brothers (who have Pacific Islander Heritage), do their Haka...
It was AMAZING!!!
I got goosebumps!

The Energy & The Power the Haka inspires is way beyond words.
My respect and admiration for all of those who keep their HERITAGE STRONG!

Rugbyman22 said...

Its not soccer its rugby duh